Christmas is less than two weeks away and while us hoomans are busy preparing for the festivities at home, it's easy to forget that what's a treat for us can be potentially deadly to our furry family members. Put a pause on hanging up your pretty decorations and laying out the Christmas snacks. Read this article first if you want to keep your pet safe and happy during this Season of Joy!
Candles definitely bring a warm atmosphere to your party, but be careful as the flames can burn your curious pet's paws or nose. They are also a fire hazard for you if your pet brushes against them and cause them to accidentally fall. Not to mention, scented candles can emit chemicals that your pet may be sensitive to.
If you insist on having candles, make sure that they are non-scented and out of reach from your pet or try safer alternatives like fake, battery-operated candles.
Fairy lights are pretty and livens up the living room. However, cats and bunnies especially may end up chewing on the cables and burn or electrocute themselves.
Chocolates, Nuts and Christmas Puddings
Any dog or cat owner should know that chocolates are poisonous to their pets. Fruits such as grapes, raisins and sultanas are toxic to dogs and they are found in mince pies and Christmas puddings. Macadamia nuts are also poisonous to dogs and are often found in cookies or as a snack on its own. Keep those cookies in a container and ensure that your dessert table is out of reach from greedy paws.
Garlic, Chives and Onions
These aromatics are commonly used in Christmas foods such as sausages and turkey stuffing. Avoid giving your pet a share of your Christmas meal. If you don't want them to feel left out, click here for alternative Christmas goodies you can give your pet!
Thinking about hanging that mistletoe over your door? Think again.
Mistletoe, poinsettia and ivy have mild toxicity to dogs and cats. Also, plants from the Lilium or Hemerocallis species are potentially deadly for cats.
Put up artificial versions of these plants instead or avoid them altogether and use only pet-friendly greens.
Christmas Ornaments and Snowglobes
Unless you are 100% certain that your pet knows how to stay away from the Christmas tree when unattended, take note of what you hang on it.
Salt dough ornaments may cause salt toxicosis and tinsel may cause stomach blockage if your pet ingests it. Some snowglobes contain antifreeze and even a small amount of it can be fatal for cats.
(Keeping pets away from the tree can be a challenge. Check out these hilarious and ingenious ways owners kept their pets from ruining Christmas here!)
Of course, having a pet doesn't mean that you have to take down all your Christmas decorations. It can still be fun for both your human guests and your pet as long as you know the potential hazards that may occur and take steps to prevent them.
Ultimately, always contact your vet for advice if your pet ingests anything that might be harmful (it would also be good to take note of your vet's operating hours during the holiday period).
If this has been helpful to you, do share this with your loved ones and check out our other Christmas articles!
Just a fun-loving team who loves art and also pets <3